Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A E I O U and sometimes Y?

Random thought...why is Y only sometimes a vowel?
I was driving last night and i saw a padiddle, a car with only one headlight. Out here in the east, if you see one, you say padiddle and hit the roof of the car. but while i was out in utah, whenever my roommate saw one, she would do this tapping ting on the windshield. You tap the name of the person you love. For consonants you tap the dashboard and for vowels you tap the windshield. I find this version fun. So when i came across a padiddle last night, i tapped out Patrick's name, dashboard, windshield, dash, dash, glass, dash, dash. Then i began to wonder...what would my name be...k-dash, e-glass, l-dash, l-dash, y...i dont know what to tap. Growing up, i learne that vowels are a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y. Why is y only a vowel sometimes? Why cant it always be a vowel? I know that when it is in the word why or cry it is a vowel because there are no other vowels, but what about my name? kellyn?

I found this website, www.phonicsontheweb.com it says this
"Sometimes, the letter y is a consonant, and other times it is a vowel. The rule for telling the two apart is simple: The letter y is a consonant when it is the first letter of a syllable that has more than one letter. If y is anywhere else in the syllable, it is a vowel.

Examples of Y as a Consonant
yes
yam
yell
yellow
yogurt
Examples of Y as a Vowel
gym
my
cycle
baby
hairy
sky"

i still think it should always be a vowel

No comments:

Post a Comment