Monday, December 26, 2011

Locks of Love

I chopped all my hair off!!! I still can't really believe I did it! It was my fourth time donating and the fifth pony tail donated.
The fist time I donated, I was in 5th grade and my mom made me do it. I was so upset when she told me that I had an appointment to cut off 10 inches of my hair. I cried myself to sleep for days.
The second time I donated was 7th or 8th grade, I don't remember exactly. One of my teachers set up a Locks of Love event at the school and would ask me to donate everyday until I finally agreed. I felt guilted into it.
Then in 11th grade I decided on my own to donate. That time, the woman that cut it said that it was thick enough for me to make two ponytails from it.
My hair had gotten very long since then. I had planned on donating again but I kept putting it off. After the wedding, I had been thinking about it a lot. This may sound odd, but I always feel guilty when I have long hair. I love love love long hair!!! I want my hair to be super long, but everytime that it gets long, I feel guilty if I keep it and don't donated. My hair had grown the longest it ever had been and I couldnt stop thinking about donating.
Then one day, I had the TV on as I was doing stuff around the house. There was nothing on so I put on my backup channel, The Style Network. Jerseylicious was on, which I hardly ever actually watch. The episode that was playing was one where the salon did a Locks of Love event. Then the very next day on the radio, they were talking about a man who grew out a mullet and then donated it.
To be thinking about it a lot and then hear about it several times in the media, I felt that it was time and I made an appointment.
Here are the before pics


And the after!!!!!


Big difference! To be perfectly honest, I am NOT loving it. I think it is too poofy the way its cut, and I have to straighten it to make it look good. its more work even though the work takes less time. With long hair, I culd just brush it and go because the waves looked good, but with it short it waves funny and looks dumb. And she took off more hair then she said.

With10 inches off it should have hit a few inches below my shoulder and thats about were it was after it was cut and then she just kept cutting.
But everyone tells me how good it looks so I am going to take their word for it.
Everytime I want to complain about it, I think about the little kids that dont have any because of cancer. The reason I donated was for these kids. When I was two, I had a health scare and the doctors thought I had Lukemia. I often wonder what if I did. Cutting my hair to help improve a sick little girls life makes it worth it!
I takes 6-8 ponytails to make a wig. The wig is custom made for a child up to age 21. Tese wigs are vaccume sealed to the childs head. The only thing that would break the seal would be the child moving her temple a certain way. That means she can style it, shower with it, and even swim in it. It becomes like their real hair!
I have donated 5 ponytails so far. I am just one away from donating enough to make a wig. Ithink that would be awsome! After tha last one, I will grow out my hair for me and not feel bad about it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment