Sunday, January 15, 2012

Music

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."
Aldous Huxley

Music is such an important part of my everyday life. I listen to it as I get ready in the morning. I listen to it as I exercise. I listen to it when I drive in the car. It plays over the speakers in every store and most places of buisnesses as well. We sing hymns in church and have an entire half hour set aside for singing time in Primary to teach children songs.

It often amazes me what a difference listening to a song can have on my attitude. Some songs make me smile. Some songs make me cry. Some songs encourage me. Some songs inspire me. Some songs make me angry. Whenever I am upset, the most calming thing for me is music. When I am scared, I sing or hum or just sing in my head, and I feel better.

Music is a powerful tool. Messages are passed through to people today through music. Turn on any radio station and it will eventually play a commercial with a jingle. I have never met anyone that has never had a song stuck in their head at one point. But we must be careful about the messages that we are listening to in these songs.

I was listening to the radio one afternoon. A song that I had liked since I first heard it came on. I liked it because it had a really catchy tune, but I had never really paid attention to the lyrics. This time I did and was horrified to realize that the whole song was about a kid taking his fathers gun and shooting the other kids in school. The song that I am talking about is "Pumped up Kicks" By Foster The People. I have since deleted it from my Itunes and turn the station when it comes on the radio.

It makes me wonder what this world is coming to. I wonder, what are the other songs that I listen to really saying? I went back over my itunes account and thought about what songs whould I not want to play if my little brothers were in the car with me? And I deleted those that I deemed inappropriate.

Then I saw this video. This is David Archuleta who was the runner up on American Idol season seven. He is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of latter-Day Saints as am I. During his most recent tour, a christmas tour, he felt imprest to sing this song. This song is my favorite Primary song of all time. This song is the song I sing when I am upset, feel alone, feel depressed or scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment