Saturday, February 18, 2012

Book Club

Last month I was invited to join a book club with a couple of girls from church. I have always loved a good book, but I don't read that often. Lately I have been listening to a lot of books on cd, all of which I have heard/read many many times before. I thought that this book club would be a great way to force myself to read books in genres I would have otherwise passed over.
Our first book was The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
He is a fantasy writer and a prophesor at BYU. I have read fantasy books in the past and have liked them, so I wasn't worried. This book was a challenge though! It was 1,001 pages long!! I admit that I didn't finish. I didn't come close to finishing. I only read to around 300. It took me about that long to get into it.
I wasn't a fan of the way he wrote it. Everything was sooooo different with strange unpronouncible names. There was nothing to cmpare things to because it was a whole new world. And the author didn't explain things. He didn't describe things which made it ad to understand and keep up with the story. He also switched characters every chapter which made it even more difficult to understand what was going on. It was about page 300 that things started to really make sence to me but by the time I got there, the month was over.
At the meeting, we talked about what happened at the en of the book. Now that I know that it is going somewhere, I think I will finish it. But we now have a new book to read. My Antonia by Willa Cather. I think it is supposed to be a classic. I know its a lot shorter so I should definately be able to finish it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment