Monday, October 22, 2012

Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken

I try to have my family over for dinner the first Sunday of the month. And whenever I have them over, I like to try a new recipie. I found this one on pinterest and gave it a try. (My notes are in Italics)

Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken

Ingredients:
3 to 4 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs (I did chicken breasts)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce (Pat made me get Kikkoman because he says its better than everything else)
6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
4 1/2 teaspoons cold water
Cooked rice (I did white rice and because it was for the family, I did real rice rather than my usual minute rice)

Directions:
Place chicken in the slow cooker. (I browned the chicken first, I was nervous the crockpot wouldn't cook it all the way through only on low for 4 hours)
In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper.
Pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken from the slow cooker.
Skim fat from cooking liquid.
Place liquid in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Combine cornstarch and water until smooth, then gradually stir into liquid and stir until sauce is thickened. (I didn't read this step right and just put both the water and cornstarch right into the sauce without combining them first. My sauce never thickened. Next time I'll do it the right way)
To serve, top rice with chicken and cover with the Teriyaki Sauce

It was super yummy! Paul was a bit of a butt and refused to eat the chicken saying it was "dry" But mom and dad couldnt stop talking about how moist the chicken was and I think it was great! Pat ate it no complaints and I know he isn't a chicken fan.

I paired it with this recipe for cooked carrots. Its super easy.

Roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes with some seasoning and a little olive oil (I poured way too much olive oil on accident)
Then drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of honey, and about 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar. Pop them back into the oven for about 5 more minutes.

I like them, but it wasn't like, "Oh my gosh these are amazing!" I probably wont be doing this one again. Its easier and just as good to boil them to me but you guys might like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment