Sunday, November 18, 2012

Baked "Fried" Chicken

Once again I had my parents and brother over for dinner. We had our friends, the Kirks, over as well. I always try to make a new recipie when I have my parents over. It is honestly the only time I really go all out with my cooking. This Sunday I made Potato bread in the breadmaker, Creamy Cheesy Potatos (See this blog post for recipie), Orange Glazed Carrots and Baked "Fried" Chicken. I must say it was all yummy! Here are the recipies for the carrots and the chicken.

Orange Glazed Chicken

Ingredients
32 oz bag of baby carrots
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup of orange juice (the one i used was an orange pineapple combo juice because thats what I had and I didnt want to buy another)
3 Tbsp butter
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water

1. Combine all ingredients, except water and cornstarch, in a crockpot.
2. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. (I just put the baby carrots in whole and cooked it for just over 3 hours and the carrots still had a bit of a crunch. Next time I will either cut them or let them go longer to get them soft)
3. Put carrots in a serving dish. Pour the juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
4. Combine water and cornstarch in a seperate small bowl and add to the juice.
5. Let it boil for a minute, stirring constantly, or until thickened. (This is the first sauce/gravy I have attempted that thickened well!) Pour over carrots or serve on the side

I loved these! The smell while it cooked was incredible!! just as good as cookies baking! And it was simple and easy! The carrots and sauce were super sweet and yummy! A definite winner

Baked "Fried" Chicken

This was another recipie I found on Pinterest

Ingredients
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloin
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt (Typically I skip the salt, but I did shake some in)
1 tablespoon Season All (I used Lawry’s Seasoned Salt)
3/4 teaspoon pepper (I didn't actually measure it)
2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 stick butter
Buttermilk

Instructions
1.Place thawed chicken breasts in a bowl of buttermilk and let soak 20-30 minutes.
2.Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
3.Combine and mix thoroughly flour, salt, Season All, pepper, and Paprika in a gallon-size Ziploc bag or bowl.
4.Cut butter into a few pieces and place in a 9- x 13-inch pan. Melt butter in preheated oven. (So I totally didn't read this step of the directions and I sprayed a cookie sheet with pam and baked them on that but the crust stuck to the pan. A glass 9x13 probably would have worked better)
5.Spread melted butter around the bottom of the pan. Lightly spray the pan with cooking spray, if needed, to make sure that there are no dry spots.
6.Shake excess milk off of chicken and completely coat each piece in flour mixture. Either shake in the bag until coated or dip each piece in the bowl until coated. (I did the bag but when I do it again I'd just do it in a bowl, I feel like there would be more control over coating them, and the bag got really gross and messy from the buttermilk)
7.Place each piece of chicken in the preheated pan (My pan wasn't preheated)
8.Bake for 20 minutes. Turn each piece of chicken over and continue baking for 20 more minutes, or until cooked through

The chicken was really good. It reminded me of Chick'fil A. Next time I do it, I'll do it in a glass pan and cut the chicken up into smaller bites. The coating kinda all fell off and thats my favorite part. I think that with smaller pieces there will be a lot more crust and a better chance of it sticking. I also had a ton of chicken so I doubled the recipie for coating. I suggest doing that for sure! It seemed to dissapear so quick when coating the chicken, I was scared I wouldn't have enough.

I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment