Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Dallas

As many of you know, my sister lives in Dallas, Texas. My family had been planning to drive out to visit in January but decided that wasn't a great idea because of dad's health. Of course we still wanted to see her and the kids, so my parents decided to fly them here to NJ to visit. Her hubby, Trevor, needed to stay in Dallas for work and flying with a 19 month old and a 3 month old alone would be very hard. So I flew out to Dallas on a Friday just to fly back with her to Philly on Saturday.
The morning I left, there was a lot of freezing rain. It had just started when I got to the airport. The plane ended up waiting on the tarmac for an hour waiting to be de-iced. I had a stop scheduled in Minneapolis before Dallas. It wasn't supposed to be a real layover, just a stop where some passengers get off and new ones get on but I stay on the plane the whole time. Because of the delay out of Philly, that stop was messed up and we needed to change planes. I was glad for a chance to stretch my legs and get a pretzel.
 
I was so excited to finally land in Dallas and meet up with Audra and the kids. This was my first time meeting my cute little niece, Kendell. Both kiddies were asleep. I sent this pic to dad to let him know I landed safely.
Audra and I were STARVING and wanted to stop at Chili's for lunch, but the GPS decided to take us back to the airport instead. Apparently they are building one inside.
After lunch, we went to the mall to tire out the little boy at the play place.
 
(Sorry about the red along the outside of the pictures. I have a red iPhone case that keeps getting in the way. I need to remember to take it off before taking pictures in the future!)
 
Before heading home, we had to stop for pretzels. Yes, I ate Auntie Anne's twice in one day! You can't go to the mall without stopping for a pretzel!

Caiden is a good sharer.
He also loved to walk around with bags. He tried to carry mine around his neck but kept falling over because it was so heavy. Sorry buddy!
 
Saturday, we all flew to NJ. We had a Southwest flight from Dallas to Houston. Then we were to change planes and fly AirTran to Atlanta for a short stop (remain on plane) then finally to Philly. Flight one went well. The flight was not full so Audra and I were able to sit together in the same row with both kids and an empty seat between us for Caiden. The second flight was a little more challenging. Because it was AirTran, the seats were assigned. Naturally, we were seating 10 rows apart, and I had a middle seat. I took Kendell so I wouldn't completely torture the people on either side of me.
 
The row behind me only had one person in it so the sweet lady next to me moved back so I would have more space.
 
She was sooooo good and slept a lot. She was calmed easily every time she started to fuss.
When we arrived in Atlanta, we were informed that all the flights into Philly have been temporarily stopped. Rather than circle above Philly for an hour, they had us deplane and wait in the Atlanta airport. As much as we just wanted to get to NJ, the stop was appreciated. We were able to change diapers and get food and let the little boy stretch and run a little.

He loved the water fountain! He was laughing the whole time, until I take a video of course!
Originally, Audra and I had planned on switching kids in Atlanta, but Caiden was being a little difficult so Audra volunteered to take him again. Someone moved seats for her so that she had an extra seat for him which was great. I however was stuck in the middle seat. But Kendell was great and slept the whole time. I was even able to sleep a little.
 
Because it was a quick turnaround, I had planned on driving myself to the airport, leaving my car and just drive us all home the next day. The more I thought about it, the happier I am that I didn't. The heat didn't work and I just couldn't imagine driving over an hour with two babies and no heat and freezing weather. Pat drove me there and Mom and Dad picked us up. Pat used the time to work on my car (I have heat now just in time for this snow storm). And I am sooooo glad mom and dad both came to pick us up. We had a ton of stuff and there was no way Audra and I could have carried it all. We had the two kids, two carry ons, two large suitcases, a stroller, a pack and play and a car seat. No way that was gonna happen just the two of us.
I'll post more about their visit soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment