Sunday, January 26, 2014

New Beginnings 2014

Last Sunday, we held our New Beginnings program for the Young Women at church. The theme for the youth this year comes from Moroni 10:32, "Come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness" Keeping that theme in mind, I came across an idea online for a Diamond in the Rough theme for our New Beginnings.
 
I really liked the idea, so we ran with it. A diamond in the rough, is a diamond before it is cut and polished. We are very much like unpolished diamonds. We are precious and valuable, but through Christ, we can be perfected.
 
For d├ęcor, I wanted it to be very simple, classic and elegant. I wanted everything all black and white with silver accents and red roses. Our YW president went a little nuts buying everything black and white she could find, but I think we came out with a good mix of the ideas.
 
For some reason, every time I take pictures inside the gym, they have a yellowish tint, sorry.
 
 
 fancy chocolates at each table (didn't last long with the kids)
 food table before the food
 covered the basketball net with a Halloween chandelier (we replaced the spiders with diamonds)
 
gift bags for the girls 
dessert table before dessert
 
 
We had New Beginnings right after church on Sunday so we had a light refreshments which included:
A veggie tray
A fruit tray
Little fancy tea sandwiches
 (one leader was so cute and used a cookie cutter to make the sandwiches into little hearts)
A salad made by me :)
 
Because I am the world's pickiest eaters, I like very basic simple salads with ranch dressing, but I needed something fancier. With the help of pinterest, I threw together a salad consisting of spinach and romaine lettuce with dried cranberries, candied pecans, gala apple and feta cheese as the toppings. I actually really liked it! I made a honey Dijon dressing too but the salad didn't even need it!
 
For desserts we had chocolate covered strawberries and cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory
Our YW president had a bunch of little plastic champagne glasses, so I brought a bunch of bottles of Martinelli's sparkling cider for drinks.



 
It was a fun time!

No comments:

Post a Comment