Monday, November 23, 2015

Primary President

I always say that I am going to start blogging again, but it only lasts a week or two and then months and months will go by with no posts. We'll see how long I can last this time. :)
Last month, I was called to be the Primary President of our ward. At the age of 25, I feel like I have been in Primary most of my life, 10 years as a child, 5 years as a leader. I've been a primary teacher, secretary, 1st and 2nd counselor. But being Primary President has been a bit of an adjustment.

The Sunday of our Primary Program, the bishop saw me in the hall and asked me if my husband and I could meet with him after church. I was curious what it could be about. It was rumored that the current primary president would be released soon because she had been in the calling for three years. I assumed we would be getting a joint calling after I was released from Primary because of the release of the presidency. Why else would he want to talk to both of us? Right? As we were waiting in the hall with my little brother, Paul, we were joking about what calling it would be. Paul asked what I would do if I was being called to be Primary President. I laughed and said, "I would so not a chance and walk away" Wouldn't you know that's what I was being called as? When Bishop Swan said it, Patrick and I looked at each other and just started laughing. Of course I didn't really say not a chance.

I am nervous and excited and overwhelmed and anxious and just really want to do the best that I can in this new calling. It is certainly the biggest responsibility I have had thus far in the Church, especially since our ward combined with the Atlantic City Spanish branch at the end of the summer. Our primary has almost doubled and the dynamic is very different with the new children. My goals are to 1. get to know all the kids names! 2. Get them to open up, Some of the kids are so shy that they won't say a word. I want them to comfortable and happy with us. 3 Get the kids to intermingle. They sit with their class, but they still seem so separate. The Spanish kids sit together and the English kids sit together. They all speak English so luckily that is not much of a problem. Overall, I just want everyone to feel included and loved in our Primary, including our teachers.

Please join me on this new journey. I will try to post my thoughts, ideas, lessons and activities regarding Primary as well as my personal life here on this blog weekly. Hopefully I will be able to make this a habit and it will last longer than a month :)

No comments:

Post a Comment