Saturday, January 9, 2016

The Scriptures are the Word of God

January Week One Sharing Time: The Scriptures are the Word of God

I am doing week one's sharing time this Sunday because of the new theme introduction last week. 
This is the plan from the outline

Introduce the doctrine: Bring a variety of books (such as a cookbook, a storybook, and a schoolbook) to Primary, and invite a few children to show these books and the scriptures to the Primary. Invite the children to discuss the similarities and differences between the books, including their authors. Point out that the scriptures are unique because they are written by God’s prophets and are the word of God.

Encourage understanding: Tell the children that there are four books of scripture we use in the Church: the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. Explain that we call these the “standard works.” Teach the children about each book. Include a few of the stories or teachings found in each book. Play a matching game (see TNGC, 169) with the names of the standard works and pictures representing a story or teaching found in each book.


Encourage application: Invite several of the children to share their favorite scripture or scripture story. Encourage them to share what they have learned from reading the scriptures. Bear your testimony of the scriptures

I really like the outline for the week, but I like to customize it to fit Junior and Senior Primary. I also always fear that I will have time leftover to fill so I like to plan a lot. I'd rather have too much material than too little.

Junior Primary
As an attention getter, I am going to bring in a sword (my husband keeps a Japanese katana under our bed, robbers beware. He is now telling me I can't bring a real sword to church cause it is a real weapon that could hurt or kill someone, I said I wouldn't take it out of the sheath but its still a no go, darn. I guess I'll look for the fake prop one we have somewhere and if all else fail, my little brother has a foam Nerf sword). I will say that today we are going to learn about something that is more powerful than this sword. I'll put a set of scriptures in a box, wrap it up and put a question mark on it. I'll ask the kids what they think could be in the box more powerful than a sword.  Then I will read Alma 31:5, 
"And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God."
After reading, I'll ask the kids again and see if they change their mind before unwrapping the box to reveal the scriptures.

Then I will pull out of my bag the other books as suggested in the outline (a cookbook, novel, textbook ect.) I'll ask the kids what is the difference between the scriptures and these other books. 

I'll point out then that the scriptures are the word of God and they are written by His prophets. 
I'll tell the kids how the scriptures are broken up into different books. I'll briefly discus each of the books. 
Old Testament- Before Jesus was born, part of the Bible
New Testament- When Jesus lived on the earth and His teachings, part of the Bible
Book of Mormon- People living in the Americas during the time of the Bible
Doctrine and Covenants- The restoration of the church during the 1800s
Pearl of Great Price- Books that were translated by Joseph Smith

 By this point my littles will be getting restless so its time for some games!

Matching Game

I'll start with a classic matching game. 
I saved and printed a bunch of pictures from the Gospel Art Book
Here is a link to the photo cards I printed (I am hoping this works)
Print it twice so that you have matches
I printed them on cardstock so that you can't see through the paper
We will play it like a normal matching game, When a match is made, we will talk about that story and in which book of scripture (Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants) you can find it

Scripture Hot Potato 
For this game, I'll get a bunch of pictures again of scripture stories, one for each child. Have the kids sit or stand in a circle, each behind a picture. I'll have the piano play this month's song "If I Listen with my Heart"  We will sing and pass my potato until the music stops
(I got this stress potato a few weeks ago when we visited the Herr's chip factory in PA)

Whoever is holding the potato when the music stops will tell us a little about the picture they have.

Senior Primary
I will do a very similar lesson with the senior bunch. My senior group is a lot bigger though so I will combine the games.

I'll split the group into two teams
We will play the hot potato to the music to see who gets a turn to pic a match. (one side of the room at a time)
Another added twist is that they must correctly state what book of scripture the story is in. If they don't know/guess right, the match is put back face down for the other team to try. If they know the story, I'll tell me about it, if not I will fill in the blanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment