Saturday, April 23, 2016

Jesus Christ is the perfect example for me

I was excited to teach this sharing time but I started feeling super sick during sacrament meeting so my lovely teacher and counselor took over for me so I could go home but this is what I planned...

Week 2: Jesus Christ is the perfect example for me. (from lds.org)
Introduce the doctrine: Sing “Do As I’m Doing” (CS, 276), and ask the children to follow you as you do several simple actions, such as clapping your hands, stretching your arms above your head, or marching in place. Ask the children to name some things they have learned by following someone’s example (for example, how to make a bed or play a game). Write on the board “Jesus Christ is the perfect example for me.” Testify that Christ was the only person who has lived on the earth who has set the perfect example for us to follow. Have the children read the sentence together.


Encourage application: Display some pictures of Jesus loving and serving others. Write “Jesus loved everyone” and “Jesus served others” on the board. Draw a heart and a hand beneath these phrases. Tell the children that we should follow Jesus’s example by loving and serving others. Give each child a piece of paper and have them draw a heart or trace their hand. Then invite them to write or draw something they can do to follow Jesus’s example. Have the children share their ideas with the Primary and place their papers next to the pictures of Jesus. Sing “I’m Trying to Be like Jesus” (CS, 78–79).

Junior Primary
I was going to start with the song "Do As I'm Doing" having different kids being the leader.
Instead of just showing pictures to the kids, I made the pictures into popsicle puzzles.

1. Print out the pictures you want, make sure they are fit on the width of a popsicle stick. I got the wide sticks from AC Moore.

 2. Tape popsicle sticks together, this will help keep the sticks together while gluing the picture to the other side
3. Glue picture to the side of the sticks that does NOT have the tape. I used Elmer's Spray adhesive so it would dry faster.
 4. I thought that I may want to reuse these puzzles so for extra protection, I painted a layer of mod podge over the picture when the glue was dry. (It goes on white but it will dry clear)

 5. Once the mod podge is dry, take the tape off the back of the sticks and it is now time to cut the picture along the lines of the sticks. The best way to do this is to use a razor blade or exacto knife. fold up the sticks making a crease in the picture and you can see a small gap between the sticks. Glide the blade along that small gap. 
You are then left with a picture puzzle on popsicle sticks.

I made six different puzzles with different pictures of the savior. 

I grabbed the matching pictures from the library. I was going to split the kids into groups and give each group a puzzle to work out. Then we would go over each group's picture. They would point out which one it matched from the board. I would then talk about what Jesus was doing in that picture and how He was setting an example for us and what we could do to follow His example. 

 If we had time left, I follow the end of the outline and have them either draw a heart or trace their hand and draw a picture of how they can follow Jesus' example.

Senior Primary
For Senior primary I had planned on switching it up a bit. I would still split them up into groups and give each group a puzzle and two different scriptures to go with it. They would put together the puzzle and decide which of the two scripture stories matches the picture that they have. Then we would take turns and have the kids come up, share their picture and the scripture. Just like in junior primary, we would talk about the story and say how we could follow Jesus' example. 

I'm bummed I was too sick to teach this sharing time :(

No comments:

Post a Comment