Saturday, April 23, 2016

Through the Atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved

Week 3: Through the Atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved. (from lds.org)
Introduce the doctrine: Divide the children into groups and give each group a phrase from the third article of faith. Have each group stand, in the correct order, and repeat their phrase. Then have the entire Primary stand and repeat the whole article of faith.

Encourage understanding: Testify that one way the Atonement of Jesus Christ saves us is that it saves us from sin. Show the children a clear glass of water and explain that it represents a person who is free from sin. Drop a small amount of food coloring in the water. Point out how the food coloring spreads throughout the water and makes it no longer clean. Explain that when we sin, we become unclean, like this water. Then add a few drops of liquid bleach to make the water clean again. Explain that when we repent, the Atonement cleanses us from sin and we are forgiven. Show a picture of Christ in Gethsemane. Let the children share what they know about the picture. Testify of Jesus Christ’s love for us and of His willingness to pay the price for our sins.

Encourage application: Using some of the teaching methods modeled in this booklet, teach the children about repentance, which includes feeling sorry, asking for forgiveness, righting the wrong, and not repeating the wrong (see Primary 3, 46–49).

Junior Primary
I will follow the outline and write up the third article of faith on different papers and divide into groups. I will most likely do this by class. Each group will say their part and we will say the article of faith several times.
I really like the object lesson they suggest and have done it in the past. I have found that the food coloring sometimes takes a while to become clear again after the bleach, but I read a suggestion to use iodine and that works so well! I plan on doing this again.
I also want to show this video. Youtube.com doesn't usually work in the church but the app often works. If worse comes to worse, you can turn off the wifi and use your data. Its only a 3 min video, but the song is so touching and our primary have never sung it.

For the remaining time I want to talk about repentance. I will have a volunteer wear a backpack that I will fill with canned food labeled with sins. Sins really weigh us down. To repent we must feel bad for the sin, then confess the sin and try to right the wrong, and lastly never do it again. I will have the kids take turns taking out a can. We will talk about what we can do to repent of each sin.

Senior Primary
I think the only thing I will do differently is practicing the third article of faith. I'll cut up the parts I used earlier to smaller phrases. I'll tape them up in the board and we'll read it together. Then I'll remove a phrase or two. Read article of faith. Repeat until there is nothing on the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment